Friday, May 7, 2010

Theme and motif: Dreams

Throughout the play characters have dreams and get feelings of what will happen in the future that they sometimes believe and sometimes don't. The characters almost always ignore these signs though, and that ends up bringing them harm. I had a dream when I was starting this year and had failed a biology test. The dream was a few days before the following test and I had dreams and constant feelings of failing and then failing the class and the trend continuing to the point where I fail school and my life is completely destroyed. It was strange and I completely believed it even though it's nay on impossible to fail because of test corrections. But I was very worried about failing and studied hard for the following test and was completely satisfied with a B. Which I would normally dislike.
I would also align myself more with Romeo's view of dream's the belief in the power or at least relevance of dreams seems unavoidably real. Your mind can tell you a lot and I don't think it is always random nonsense. Dreams have to come from somewhere.
This motif carries a lot of weight in the play, and this is shown very clearly in act III. Romeo's feeling that he will die because of that party is beginning to come to fruition and though this was not a dream the Friar's warning not to rush into their love was not heeded and this has produced severe consequences, some might even say it caused Tybalt's death and Romeo's banishment. The motif of dreams is significant both in what it produces and in the fact that it help represents the immobility of fate. And the destiny of "the star-crossed lovers."

No comments:

Post a Comment