Thursday, February 25, 2010

Great Expectations: The First Stage

The chain that Pip refers to is his relationship with Miss Havisham and Estella, the formation of the link is how he was draw into this relationship by complete coincidence and how it linked him to the chain forevermore. Pip is altered in many ways, how he sees himself and his home, he gains unknown feelings for these two people and in his aspirations in life. Pip now thinks of himself as to "common", in being looked down upon by Estella he gains a very harsh self-image and he looks upon his home life and his guardians badly as well. Even Joe, who was his closest friend and saviour from his sister, seems to common to Pip. He wants to impress both Miss Havisham and Estella, but particularly the latter, for he wants them to look upon him well and feels that they're better for being "oncommon." His former profession, to be apprenticed to and later become a blacksmith, seems horrible too him now, he feels that it's not good enough and feels that Estella and Miss Havisham would look down on him for it.
I joined a link the day my first brother was born and it made it's second circle around when my second was. Those were the days that made me an eldest child and gave me two family members that I feel responsible for and feel that I owe them something. On those days I didn't realise the significance of them but I do now, two people I'll know for my entire life and will, if everything goes well, be here after I'm dead came into the world on those days. They're the only people I feel I owe help or assistance too . This chain altered my life immensely and changed my perspective forever. I will always be linked in this chain and am glad of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment